3. Clean the interior surface of the un-
5. Press the patch over the trimmed
damaged facing with emery cloth, and a clean lintfree
damaged area and work out any trapped air bubbles.
cloth soaked with methylethyl-ketone.
4. Cut a section of honeycomb core
material the same size as the trimmed hole using the
The patch should be laid on gradually,
honeycomb furnished with the repair kit.
one side on the other, or from the center
5. Fabricate plug patch plate which will
to the edges, to minimize the possibility
overlap hold opening by approximately 3 inches (8 cm)
of entrapped air. Use two men to apply
patches larger than four inches, one to
6. Drill rivet holes in the patch plate using
hold the top edges up and away from
a number 30 drill (0.128-0.132 inch (0.3251 cm -1.3353
prepared surface while the other starts
applying patch evenly and smoothly from
7. Drill matching holes in the panel using
the bottom. This will prevent the patch
the patch plate as a template.
from wrinkling and forming air bubbles.
8. Apply a thin coat of adhesive to the
cleaned interior facing step 3 above), the edges of the
6. Cover the seams of the repaired area
with mylar tape (supplied with repair kit).
9. Insert the honeycomb core into the
(e) Repair to damaged honeycomb panel edg-
trimmed area of the panel and press firmly in place. Fill
ing (closeouts).Repair damaged panel edging as follows.
area above core eith adhesive and place plug patch in
1. Remove the damaged phenolic edging
with a sharp knife to cut away from honeycomb core,
10. Secure the patch plate in position
using care to prevent damage to honeycomb core and
using 1 inch (0.3175 cm) domed head blind rivets (from
aluminum facing edge.
repair kit), using procedures given in section XII,
2. Cut a section of phenolic edging the
same size as the damaged area and apply a thin coat of
11. Apply primer and after primer is dry
the two part adhesive to the phenolic edging back.
repaint repair area using paint conforming to Federal
3. Press the edging firmly in place and
allow to cure for a minimum of 8 hours.
(c) Repair to honeycomb panel with damage to
(2) Replace any damaged inserts. If possible
both surfaces. Damage to a panel which penetrates
straighten any bent plates tees angles or latches. Repair
both surfaces shall be repaired using procedure given in
damaged closeouts per paragraph (1) above.
paragraph c. (2) (b) above. Both facings shall be
e. Overhaul. Overhaul the side panel assemblies (60,
61, FO-4) (located in back of manual) as required to
(d) Repair to fabric floor covering. Repair
return to a serviceable condition per chapter 8, section
damage or worn floor fabric as follows.
1. With a sharp knife cut a square area
f. Assembly. Assemble the side panel assemblies
from around damaged or worn section.
using FO-4 (located in back of manual) as a guide and
observing the following.
(1) Install all blind nuts and rivnuts using installation
procedures recommended by the manufacturer.
If aluminum facing or honeycomb core is
(2) Replace all rivets.
damaged, repair using procedures given
(3) Seal all cracks around hinge half edges with
sealant EC776, 3M Co., or equivalent.
(e)(i)and (j). Do not install doubler plate
(4) Cement seal assemblies.
in order to assure a smooth surface.
g. Installation. Install the panel assembly as follows:
(1) Push down on the folding roof panel and support
2. Peel away damaged flooring. Use the
roof using the adjustable roof support; install the side
removed flooring as a template and cut a new section
panel assemblies. Install screw (1, FO-4) (located in
using the velstat flooring fabric supplied in the repair kit.
back of manual) and washers (2) and secure the hinge
3. Thoroughly clean the repair area with
half (11) to the folding end panels.
emery cloth and a clean, lint-free cloth soaked in methyl-
(2) Install the grounding straps between the folding
end panels and folding side panels.
4. Apply a thin coat of the one part
(3) Engage all latches and hardware which attach
adhesive, supplied with the repair kit, to the floor surface
the side panels observing the procedures
and also to the floor fabric.