1. Hose clamp
23. Clamp (4)
2. Nut (3)
17. Bolt (3)
24. Clamp (4)
3. Washer (3)
18. Washer (3)
4. Centrifugal sump pump
19. Washer (3)
20. Drain sump
6. Check valve
28. Clamp (6)
(3) Float switch inside the sump assembly shall
4-40. Drain Sump Assembly
energize the pump motor and discharge water from
(4) Float switch shall shut off pump (4) when
approximately two inches (5.08 cm) of water is remaining
in sump (20). The remaining water will drain by gravity.
Turn off power to shelter before
disconnecting electrical leads from float
the drain sump assembly as follows:
(1) Position the sump legs over the inserts in the
floor and secure in place using bolts (17, fig. 4-24) and
(1) Disconnect vent and drain inlet lines from side of
washers (18, 19).
drain sump (20, fig. 4-24). Disconnect outlet line from
(2) Install tee and new packing (14) in outlet boss.
bottom of sump (16).
Tighten nut (13). Install union (15) and new packing (16)
(2) Loosen nut (13) and remove tee from outlet drain
in vent boss.
boss; remove packing (14). Remove union (15) from
(3) Connect float switch electrical leads.
vent boss on sump (20) and remove packing
(4) Connect and tighten plumbing line to sump.
(16). If applicable, remove union from inlet boss and
4-41. Centrifugal Pump Assembly
(3) Disconnect float switch electrical leads.
(4) Remove bolts (17) and washers (18, 19) from
a. Removal. Remove the centrifugal sump pump
drain sump legs and remove sump (20).
b. Repair. Repair the shelter sump assembly as
(1) Remove the water service box cover.
required to return to a serviceable condition as follows:
(2) Disconnect inlet and outlet lines from pump (4)
(1) Inspect drain sump assembly for damaged
located inside water service inlet box.
threads, nicks, dents, or burrs. If possible, dress all nicks
(3) Disconnect electrical connector from end of
and burrs with emery cloth assuring that enough wall
thickness of sump remains to assure sufficient strength.
(4) Remove nuts (2) and washers (3) securing the
Minor dents in the sump assembly are acceptable so
pump to the pump mounting bracket.
long as the function or fit is not affected. Dress minor
(5) Loosen and slide off clamp (1) securing pump (4)
damage to threads with emery cloth and then test per
to pump mounting bracket.
(6) Remove pump (4) from water service inlet box.
present. If methods Iisted above cannot return the sump
b. Installation. Install centrifugal pump assembly (4, fig.
assembly to serviceable condition, replace the sump
(2) Remove clamp which secures cover assembly to
sump and inspect filter screen for damage or dirt,
replace damaged screen. Clean screen assembly by
Be sure electrical source is off before
washing with clean water under slight pressure and
connecting electrical leads.
hitting against a solid surface using care not to damage
(1) Position pump (4) in proper position and secure
with nuts (2) and washers (3).
c. Centrifugal Pump Test and Float Switch Test.
(2) Slide clamp (1) over pump (4) and pump
mounting bracket and tighten securely.
and fill with water.
(3) Connect electrical connector to end of pump (4).
(2) Close centrifugal sump circuit breaker located on
electrical distribution panel assembly.