LUBRICATION BEFORE AND AFTER FORDING
1. Refer to TM 9-238 for detailed lubrication instructions for before and after fording.
2. After fording operation in water not exceeding 33 inches deep, lubricate all grease fittings to
clear bearings of water and/or grit.
3. If the dolly set has been in deep water for at least 24 hours or was submerged beyond its
fording capabilities (33 inches), perform a complete lubrication service as soon as practical,
regardless of time interval.
Operation in bodies of salt water increases the rapid accumulation of rust and
corrosion, especially on unpainted surfaces. It is most important to remove all traces of
salt water and salt deposits from every part of the vehicle.
4. Disassemble, clean and relubricate all moving parts exposed to salt water.
5. Wheel bearings must be removed, cleaned and repacked after every submersion over 33
LUBRICATION AFTER DUSTY OR SANDY OPERATION
A lubricant which is fouled by dust and sand acts as an abrasive mixture and causes
rapid wear of parts.
1. Clean and inspect all lubrication points for fouled lubricants.
2. Lubricate as necessary after inspection.