4-16. CLEANING INSTRUCTIONS (Cont).
a. General. Cleaning instructions will be the same for a majority of parts and components that make up the
dolly set. The following should apply to all cleaning operations:
(1) Clean all parts before inspection, after repair, and before assembly.
(2) Keep hands free of grease, which can collect dust, dirt, and grit.
(3) After cleaning, all parts should be covered or wrapped to protect them from dust and dirt. Parts that
are subject to rust should be lightly oiled.
(1) Before steam cleaning exterior of dolly set, protect all electrical equipment that could be damaged
by steam or moisture.
(2) Place disassembled parts in a suitable container to steam-clean. Parts that are subject to rust
should be dried and lightly oiled after cleaning.
c. Castings, Forgings, and Machined Metal Parts.
Dry cleaning solvent, P-D-680, is toxic and flammable. Always wear protective
goggles and gloves, and use only in a well-ventilated area. Avoid contact with skin,
eyes, and clothes, and DO NOT breath vapors. DO NOT use near open flame or
excessive heat. The solvents flashpoint is 100°F-138°F (38°C-59°C). If you become
dizzy while using dry cleaning solvent, immediately get fresh air and medical help. If
solvent contacts your eyes, immediately wash them and get medical aid.
(1) Clean inner and outer surfaces with dry cleaning solvent (Item 14, Appendix E).
(2) Remove grease and accumulated depposits with a stiff bristle brush.
Compressed air used for cleaning or drying purposes, or for clearing restrictions,
should never exceed 30 psi (207 kPa). Wear protective clothing (goggles/shield,
gloves, etc.) and use caution to avoid injury to personnel.
(3) Clear all threaded holes with compressed air to remove dirt and cleaning fluids.
Do not wash oil seals, electrical cables, and flexible hoses with dry cleaning solvent
or mineral spirits. Serious damage or destruction of material would result.
d. Oil Seals, Electrical Cables, and Flexible Hoses.
Wash electrical cables and flexible hoses with a
solution of soap and water.
e. Bearings. Clean bearings is accordance with TM 9-214.