Section IX. GENERAL HONEYCOMB PANEL REPAIR
furnished with the repair kit.
(5) Cut a section of honeycomb core material
the same size as the trimmed hole using the honeycomb
This section provides organizational maintenance
furnished with the repair kit.
personnel with general repair instructions applicable to
(6) Fabricate a doubler plate the same shape
the honeycomb parts of the expandable shelter.
(7) Drill rivet holes in the doubler plate using a
Repair Procedures Using Plug Patches and
number 30 drill (0.128-0.132 inch diameter) and spaced
(8) Drill matching holes in the plug patch plate
a. Mixing of Two Part Adhesive.
and panel using the doubler plate as a template.
adhesive, used for repair of honeycomb core, shall be
(9) Apply a thin coat of adhesive to the
accomplished as follows.
cleaned interior facing (step (3), above), the edges of the
(1) Use a mixing ratio of from 50 parts
honeycomb core and to the back of the plug patch plate.
accelerator to 100 parts base by volume, to 100 parts
(10) Insert the honeycomb core into the
accelerator to 100 parts base by volume.
trimmed area of the panel and press firmly in place.
Adhesives and solvents are
Place the plug patch plate in position and press firmly.
highly flammable; perform work in well ventilated
(11) Secure the patch plate in position using
area and away from fire.
1/8 inch domed head blind rivets (from repair kit), using
(2) Add the proper amount of adhesive base
procedures given in section VIII as a guide (fig. 2-5).
and accelerator to a mixing cup (from repair kit) and mix
(12) Apply primer and after primer is dry
thoroughly using a mixing paddle from the repair kit. The
repaint repair area using paint conforming to Federal
pot life of the adhesive after mixing is 45 minutes.
b. Repairing Honeycomb Panel with Damaged to
c. Repair to Honeycomb Panel with Damage to
One Surface Only. Repair damaged honeycomb panel
Both Surfaces. Damage to a panel which penetrates
both surfaces shall be repaired using procedure given in
(1) Trim the damaged area of the aluminum
paragraph b, above. Both facings shall be repaired.
facing using tin snips, circular saw or other suitable tool
d. Repair to Fabric Floor Covering.
damage or worn floor fabric as follows.
(2) Trim honeycomb core with a knife to the
(1) With a sharp knife cut a square area from
same size as the trimmed hole in the facing through the
around damaged or worn section.
Note. If aluminum facing or honeycomb core is
Note. In general, trimmed holes are not
damaged, repair using procedures given in paragraph
restricted as to size or shape; however, those of
2-25, b, steps (1 through 5), (9 and 10). Do not install
rectangular, circular, square and oval and rectangular
doubler plate in order to assure a smooth surface.
with round ends usually are more desirable as to
(2) Peel away damaged flooring. Use the
appearance and ease of installation.
removed flooring as a template and cut a new section
(3) Clean the interior surface of the
using the velstat flooring fabric supplied in the repair kit.
undamaged facing with emery cloth, and a clean lintfree
(3) Thoroughly clean the repair area with
cIoth soaked with methyl-ethyl-ketone.
emery cloth and a clean, lint-free cloth soaked in methyl-
(4) Cut a plug patch plate of the same size as
the trimmed hole using the aluminum facing