REPAIR OF WATER SYSTEM
Section I. PLUMBING COMPONENTS REPAIR INSTRUCTIONS
(2) Remove cover assembly (2) from drain sump.
(3) Remove rubber seal (3) from cover assembly by
This section contains the water system plumbing
peeling from cemented area
components used to supply the shelter with hot and cold water
(4) Remove strainer assembly (4) from drain sump.
and drainage provisions. The water plumbing system consists
(5) Remove screw (5), lockwasher (6), pull (7), and
of a centrifugal sump pump, sump assembly, check valve,
strainer (8) from strainer assembly.
water and drain tube assemblies, manifold assemblies, and
(6) Remove terminals (9) from electrical lead (11).
external supply and drain hoses.
(7) Remove screws (10), pull out electrical wires, and
10-2. Centrifugal Sump Pump
disconnect electrical lead (11).
a. General. The sump pump is used to pump water from
(8) Remove grommet (12) from float valve cover (13) and
the stainless steel sump, located inside the shelter, to an
remove gasket (14) by peeling from cemented area.
(9) Unsolder all electrical leads and remove diode bridge
b. Remove damaged or defective pump assembly as
(15) and relay (16) from valve body.
(10) Cut and remove lock wire (17) and unscrew level
(1) Remove the water service box cover.
switches (18) from valve body.
(2) Disconnect the inlet and outlet lines from pump (4,
(11) Remove screws (19) and slide out float valve body
(20). Remove O-ring (21).
(3) Disconnect electrical connector from end of pump (4).
(12) Remove decal (22) from sump weldment (23)
(4) Remove nuts (2) and washers (3) securing the pump
d. Repair. Repair the shelter sump assembly as required to
to the pump mounting bracket.
return it to a serviceable condition as follows:
(5) Loosen and slide off clamp (1) securing pump (4) to
(1) Inspect drain sump assembly for damaged threads,
pump mounting bracket.
nicks, dents, or burrs. If possible, dress all nicks and burrs
(6) Remove pump (4) from water service inlet box.
with emery cloth assuring that enough wall thickness of sump
c. Test. Test water pump using a multimeter, (para 11-2)
remains to assure sufficient strength. Minor dents in the sump
continuity light or other suitable continuity checking device.
assembly are acceptable so long as the function or fit is not
d. Installation. Install the sump pump assembly as follows:
affected. Dress minor damage to threads with emery cloth
and assure that there are no leaks present. If methods listed
Be sure electrical source is off before
above cannot return the sump assembly to serviceable
connecting electrical leads.
condition, replace the sump assembly.
(1) Position pump (4, fig. 4-23) in proper position and
(2) Remove clamp which secures cover assembly to
secure with nuts (2) and washers (3).
sump and inspect filter screen for damage or dirt, replace
(2) Slide clamp (1) over pump (4) and pump mounting
damaged screen. Clean screen assembly by washing with
bracket and tighten securely.
clean water under slight pressure and hitting against a solid
(3) Connect electrical connector to end of pump (4).
surface using care not to damage screen assembly.
(4) Connect inlet and outlet lines to pump (4).
e. Assembly. Assemble the drain sump assembly using
e. Repair and Overhaul.
The sump pump is not
figure 10-4 as a guide and observing the following:
provisioned for breakdown or replacement of parts. Remove
(1) Cement gasket (14) to valve cover (13)
and replace defective pump assembly only.
(2) Cement rubber seal (3) to cover assembly (2) using
10-3. Drain Sump Assembly
a. General. The drain sump assembly is used to collect
(3) Using schematic diagram for the reparable drain
waste water from shelter and discharge it to the sump pump
sump (FO-5) (located in back of manual) as a guide, solder all
through means of a float switch inside the sump.
electrical leads according to MIL-S-6872 using Sn60 solder
that conforms to specification QQ-S-571. Apply electrical
There are two configureations of drain
varnish MIL-V-173 to all exposed electrical connections after
sumps available. Reparable drain sump
should be installed in place of nonreparable
f. Test. Test drain sump assembly as described in
whenever it becomes unserviceable. Refer
to figure 10-3 to determine the type of sump
g. Installation. Install drain sump assembly as described in
installed in the shelter.
10-4. Check Valve
a. General. The check valve is used to restrict flow of drain
c. Disassembly. This procedure applies to reparable drain
water in one direction only to prevent waste water from
sump only. Disassemble the drain sump assembly as required
backing up into shelter.
to replace damaged components according to sequence of
b. Removal. Remove the check valve as described in
index numbers assigned to figure 10-4 and observing the
(1) Remove clamp ring by loosening knurled nut (1, fig.
Change 1 10-1