REPAIR OF SHELTER ACCESSORIES
Section I. AIR LOCK CHAMBER
thickness of the tube remains to assure sufficient
strength. If possible, straighten bent or misaligned bow
This section provides instructions for repair and
assemblies using a one inch (2.54 cm) conduit tube
replacement of components of the air lock chamber.
bending tool or by inserting a tube or pipe inside, or over
They consist of bow assemblies, door assembly, and
the bow assembly ends to use as leverage. If methods
listed above cannot return the bow assemblies to a
serviceable condition, replace the bow assemblies.
9-2. Bow Assemblies
(2) Repaint bow assemblies by applying epoxy
a. General. The bow assemblies provide support
primer and air, drying for 18 hours or 30 minutes at 150
for the air lock chamber fabric body assembly. They
to 300F. (66C. to 149C.). Apply two finish coats of
consist of two metal bows joined with a metal support bar
paint conforming to Specification TT-E-527, color match
which is riveted to one bow and secured to the other bow
per Standard 595, No. 34087, and air dry for 18 hours or
30 minutes at 150 to 300F.
b. Removal. Remove bow assemblies (items 1
Assemble bow assemblies as
(1) Remove light assembly from air lock chamber.
(1) Install rivet (3, fig. 9-1) and upset to secure bow
(2) Disconnect air lock chamber guy line ropes (2, 4,
support (7) to bow (8).
(2) Join bow (8) with bow support (5) and secure with
retaining pin (1).
f. Installation. Install bow assemblies as described
Remove tent pins (6) used to secure air
lock chamber ground apron. Remove
(1) Position air-lock chamber (8, fig. 9-2) adjacent to
doors in end panel of shelter. Engage zipper between
chamber is not to be installed at the
air-lock adapter and air-lock chamber and close zipper.
(2) Pull chamber out to full length from shelter
(3) Open and disengage zipper between air lock
entrance. Straighten sod cloth around chamber.
chamber (8) and chamber adapter.
(4) Lift upon bow assemblies (1 through 8, fig. 9-1) to
free bow assemblies from bow spikes (7, fig. 9-2).
(4) Drive tent pins (6, fig. 9-2) to secure sod cloth of
Remove bow spikes from ground. Remove air lock
(5) Install ground anchors (5) and cable assemblies
c. Disassembly. Disassemble bow assemblies as
required for replacement of damaged parts as described
(6) Connect air-lock chamber guy lines to cable
assemblies (3). Tighten guy lines evenly.
(1) Remove retaining pin (1, fig. 9-1) to separate
(2) Remove rivet (3) to separate bow support (5).
If bow is used for left hand side I t has correct hole size
d. Repair. Repair bow assemblies as required to
for rivets (0.196) (0.4978 cm). If it is used for right hand
return to a serviceable condition as follows:
side the hole must match the pin hole of the bow support
(1) Inspect bow assemblies for dents, misalinement,
(0.250) (0.635 cm). Ream hole if required.
nicks, and scratches. Minor dents are acceptable as
long as function or fit is not affected. Dress all nicks, and
scratches with emery cloth assuring that enough wall