and the curing agent together in a paper mixing cup
seating of the washer on the upper flange is required to
using long, smooth strokes, rather than a whipping
insure proper positioning of the insert during the setup
motion. Pot life at normal ambient temperature (750F.
(240C.) +5F. (-15C.) is approximately 2 hours. Length
(2) Clean outside of insert with a lint free cloth
of time decreases with increased temperature. Discard
soaked with methyl-ethyl-ketone. Allow insert to dry.
time should be at a point where the epoxy is no longer
(3) Place insert in hole and press down firmly.
pliable enough to be worked into the cavity.
(4) Wipe hole area with lint free cloth soaked
c. Application of Potting Compound. Apply the
with methyl-ethyl-ketone, to remove adhesive residue left
adhesive compound observing the following:
on the surface.
(1) Use a clean tongue depressor to trowel the
(5) Cover the hole area with tape making sure
adhesive compound into the insert hole.
that the washer is held down firmly by the tape. A
(2) Care shall be exercised during the trowelling
diagram of a typical installation of an insert in a
operation to prevent entrapment of air pockets in the
(6) Non-structural inserts should be allowed to
(3) Use enough adhesive to ensure complete
cure for at least 4 hours prior to handling or usage.
filling of the hole after application of the insert.
Inserts on which there is structural dependency should
d. Installation of Inserts. Use the same size and type
not be distributed for 72 hours. Epoxy manufacturer's
of insert as the one removed, observing the following:
specification sheets list the following cure time to attain
(1) Turn screws and washers completely and
tightly into insert making sure that the washer is
@77F. (25C.) - 72-120 hours
seated firmly on the upper flange of the insert. Firm
@150F. (66C.) - 3-4 hours
@200F. (93C.) - 40-60 minutes